Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weekend with Westen

Thursday night my sister, Melissa, asked if Neil and I could watch her youngest son Westen for the weekend. She was going to be coming to Sioux Falls for a No Kids Shopping Trip with her mother-in-law and sister-in-laws. Of course, I was more than willing to take Westen for the weekend. I haven’t spent much time with him and wouldn’t turn down the opportunity. When his older brother, Waylan, was born in 2006 I was going to school and working part-time, which meant a very flexible schedule. When Melissa needed emergency daycare I would go to Bradley to watch him, or if I had a free day (or wanted a free day) I would go visit. Since Westen was born just last January my schedule hasn’t been nearly as flexible as it was which meant this weekend was only the second time I’ve ever babysit him.
Melissa made it to Sioux Falls around 7:00pm, dropped Westen off, and headed out for her girls weekend. Westen hadn’t eaten yet so we warmed up some leftover spaghetti for him. We don’t have a highchair or booster seat so Westen sat on my lap while he ate. This was fine until our dog Brownie decided Westen’s bib, covered in food, smelled good and tried to pull it off him. Luckily I was holding Westen and was able to push Brownie off before he actually got a grip on anything, but it definitely scared Westen and Brownie had to spend the rest of the weekend kenneled since he couldn’t behave. All too quickly bedtime rolled around and Westen fell asleep cuddled up in my arms.
Saturday morning Westen woke us up at 6:30am, which is my normal time to get up and ready for work so it wasn’t bad. We looked out the window to find blizzard conditions and knew Westen and I wouldn’t be leaving the house for the day. The morning went quickly with him taking a 2 ½ hour nap at 10:00. The afternoon however, wasn’t quite so smooth. Westen wasn’t so sure about Neil which meant I wasn’t allowed to leave his sight and most of the time I couldn’t even put him down. We tried to get him to go down for an afternoon nap, but he wasn’t going to have it! We spent the day climbing up and down the stairs, walking around the kitchen, reading books, and watching cartoons. Westen became more and more comfortable with Neil as the day went on, and Neil even tried to change Westen’s diaper, which was probably the highlight of my day! I was still laughing hours later about Neil frantically trying to change a messy diaper until finally I had to go take over. Neil’s highlight would probably be when Westen somehow managed to change the channel to ESPN and then handed the remote over to him!
Sunday morning was a very early one for us. Westen woke up at 4:00am and was determined not to go back to sleep! I was finally able to get him asleep at 6:00am; unfortunately I wasn’t able to fall back asleep and laid in bed awake until he woke up again at 7:30am. Westen spent most of Sunday morning playing with Neil which I was very thankful for because I was so exhausted! Around 9:30 Westen started getting tired again, but was fighting sleep. He finally fell asleep laying on my lap at 10:45, but at 11:00 Melissa showed up to take him home. He was only half awake, but still very happy to see his mom! I was sad to see him go because I miss all the hugs and snuggles, but was more than happy to curl up on the couch with Neil and take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment