Monday, December 27, 2010

Our First Christmas

Christmas is by far my favorite holiday, and this year was even more special than any other because it was my first Christmas with my amazing husband.
My office was closed for Christmas Eve so I spent the day running errands and getting ready to go back to Clark after church. Neil, unfortunately, had to work all day, but was able to get off early to meet me at our 4:30 church service. The service was great, Christmas Eve is always my favorite service because of the Christmas songs, message of Jesus' birth, and the candlelight. Our church was very crowded, which is such a blessing to see that people remember the true reason to celebrate Christmas. After the service, Neil and I wentup to Clark to spend Christmas Eve with my parents and little brother. We had our traditional oyster stew and sandwich supper and then watched a movie together.
Christmas was also at my parents house. My sisters and their families came over so we could all open gifts together. There has been such a change throughout the years, five years ago we each would take turns opening gifts and see what each other received. Now with little ones running around we all watch them tear at the paper, sometimes enjoying the paper and box more than the actual toy they got, and open our gifts in between watching them. Although I do love receiving gifts, I find much more joy in watching other people open gifts that I give them. My favorite was watching my mom open the photobook that I put together of our family throughout the year. She loved it! Neil and I also were given some great gifts (pictures below). My mom's brothers and families and my grandma came over for Christmas lunch. We spent a relaxing day eating way too much and just enjoying each others company!
Sunday we went to my grandparents to have Christmas with my dad's side of the family. We again ate way too much and all enjoyed catching up and watching Kayla, Westen, and Waylan play and run around.
I love my family and I love how close we all are to one another. I love that we can all celebrate Christmas and I know that each person knows the true reason for our celebration. Next year we will be with Neil's family for Christmas and as excited as I am to experience that for the first time, I'm equally nervous about it because it will be my first holiday not spent with my family.

Breadmaker from my parents and electric wine bottle opener from Melissa

Wine glasses Neil got from James, also came with two bottles of wine

Tree Skirt from my grandparents

Christmas ornaments the New Home one is from Neil and the bell is from my parents

Also from Melissa, each day has a quote a couple of my favorites: "Sisters is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship." - Margaret Mead and "If you don't understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child." - Linda Sunshine

My parents gift to Neil, he can send in one of his pictures and will receive a 16x20 canvas of it

TV for our bedroom from Neil


The shoes I bought with the Christmas money from my mother-in-law


1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great day! Don't worry, we totally understand how nerve wracking it is to be away from your close family on Christmas...we've been there. We will do our best to love on you and welcome you with open arms, but we will also understand when you feel a little bit sad to be away from them too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete