Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pregnancy Complaining

I’ve tried very hard throughout my entire pregnancy not to complain. Whenever I get down or ‘tired of being pregnant’ I remind myself that God created my body for this purpose and a baby will be so worth it all! It helps that I have also had an ‘easy’ pregnancy. I didn’t have to deal with a moment of morning sickness, although there were times I wish I did just as proof in those early weeks I really was pregnant! I’ve had the normal back pain and some extreme hip pain and heartburn, but nothing intolerable, I’ve managed to go through my whole pregnancy without a single drop of medication of any sort! The one complaint I do have is also one thing that’s completely out of my control; formerly pregnant women.
Hopefully I don’t offend anyone and maybe you do this without realizing how it comes across to the currently pregnant woman, but is it necessary to share all the horror stories and tell me what I ‘must’ be feeling? I know I’m not the only pregnant woman who gets this, I have friends who are pregnant or recently had babies and they received the same stories, sometimes from complete strangers! I really hope after my pregnancy I remember what it felt like so I won’t do it to someone else. I’ve heard stories about how much the baby cries, how sleep deprived I’ll be, how much labor hurts (which by the way, does anyone expect it not to?), and on and on. I understand this is all reality, but I also know I’ll be able to deal with it just like everyone else does. I promise I haven’t been sleeping under a rock for years. I know babies are work, I know there will be times that I’ll just sit on the floor crying with her because there’s nothing else I can do. I also know that no matter how difficult of a baby we may or may not have, my husband and I will get through it and won’t have a second of regret.  Now that I’m less than a month away from my due date I constantly have people telling me how I must be tired of being pregnant and it will be the longest weeks of my life. Yesterday I heard it from our dog groomer! Of course I want to meet our little baby more than anything in the world, but I’m surprisingly not impatient. I want her to have the time she needs to grow and develop and honestly I’m praying she doesn’t come early. This is my busiest month at work and if I have to leave early it will just make my leave stressful because I’ll be worried about all the things I didn’t get done that someone else has to do. It’s all in God’s timing and when He says Baby B is ready to come she will, who am I to question that?
Overall I’ve enjoyed being pregnant, sure there are days I have felt like complaining and I'm sure there will be many more in the future. For right now, I’m simply tired of others thinking they know how I feel, every pregnancy is different. Some women love being pregnant, some are indifferent, and some absolutely hate it. If we decide to have another baby in the future maybe I’ll hate that pregnancy, but for now just let me enjoy this one. Let me enjoy knowing that my body is keeping my precious baby safe and healthy, my body is miraculously growing a person, I am the one carrying this tiny human wherever I go, and I am the only one that gets to feel every tiny movement she makes. 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Samantha! It is true, the advice is poured upon you. So sorry if I have done this accidentally. You and Neil are going to be awesome parents...well, you already are actually, but I can't wait to see you both in action. Funny side note, I had a totally VIVID dream last night that you had your baby, but I found out through a text message from a random family member. It said, "We welcome our new sweet baby girl to the family!" and then it said a name! I dreamed a name for your baby! Ha ha! I will have to see if it is the name you choose. It WAS pretty!

    I am glad you are enjoying the pregnancy and the movements too! I actually was THANKFUL that Jack was 9 days late because I LOVED feeling him move and I also knew it was super easy to take care of him at that stage! Ha ha! I also thought it could potentially be the last time I would be pregnant and I really wanted it to last as long as possible!

    Love ya girl! I can't wait to meet your little sweethart! She is already firmly lodged within my heart.

    ReplyDelete