I have so much respect for farmers. It seems like every year's a tough year, but they continuously struggle through and do what they have to. My dad's a farmer and I can't imagine him doing anything else. I was raised on the farm and seeing my dad work day in and day out, struggle to get things done, and work from before the sun rose to after the sunset made me have so much respect for him. I don't think farming is something that can be taught, I think it's born in you.
This year has definitely been a struggle for SD farmers. The non-stop rain has made their efforts to get a crop planted worthless. My dad always struggles this time of year because he's also in Guards. Every year in the beginning of June he has to leave the farm and go to a two week Guard drill which means he has to have everything in the ground before that time rolls around or he may just not have a crop that year which equates to not having an income that year. Last year my brother-in-law was able to help out and get my dad's beans in for him while he was gone (thank you God for a support family!). This year is turning into even more of a struggle for my dad. He hasn't been able to do much with all the rain and his two weeks starts June 4th, just a week away. Last night he received even more of a set-back. His Guard unit was activated to go to Pierre, SD to help with the flooding for 3-10 days, they left this morning at 8am. We're praying that it's only the 3 days and he can be back on Monday and have five days to work like crazy. We're also praying the rain stops and he can actually get something accomplished. All in all, God's hearing some extra prayers from me today! I have faith that everything will work out for my family, but it can't hurt to say a few extra prayers.
Oh man, I will be saying some extra prayers for him too! I wish that Neil knew how to plant beans! He could go and do it. Thinking of your dad and your family.
ReplyDelete